News

Anglican Priest Sacked by Diocese on the Niger, Re-engaged by Awka Diocese, Lands in Fresh Trouble in Agulu

News

By Our Correspondent

Fresh controversy has erupted around Rev. Canon LumenChristi Eboh, an Anglican cleric previously dismissed by the Diocese on the Niger and later re-engaged by the Awka Diocese, following allegations from parents and stakeholders in Agulu community over his activities at St. Paul’s Anglican Church.

The latest development has reignited public attention on the cleric, whose separation from the Diocese on the Niger in 2022 generated significant debate within the Anglican fold in Anambra State.
In March 2022, the Diocese on the Niger (Anglican Communion) officially dismissed Eboh, citing allegations of immorality, insubordination and the operation of a private ministry without authorisation.

At the time, the church accused the priest of engaging in immoral conduct, including allegedly impregnating a woman who had approached him for prayers.

He was also accused of financial impropriety and running an independent ministry, “God in Action Adoration Ministry,” outside the supervision of the church.

The diocese said Eboh was first placed on indefinite suspension on December 20, 2021, under Canon XVI (38) of the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion, before his eventual dismissal by the Bishop on the Niger, Rt. Rev. Owen Nwokolo.

Speaking at a press briefing in Awka, the Diocesan Director of Communications, Mr. Oselloka Offor, maintained that the cleric was not a voluntary resignee, as he claimed, but was disciplined after several petitions were received against him.

According to the diocese, one of the petitions, reportedly written by a firm of legal practitioners, accused the priest of misconduct, including the alleged impregnation of a woman under his spiritual care—an allegation Eboh has consistently denied.

In his defence at the time, the cleric insisted that he had resigned before the disciplinary action, accusing church authorities of intimidation and other grievances.

The current crisis followed a formal petition addressed to the Archbishop of the Province of the Niger, Most Rev. Alexander Ibezim, by Mrs. Aisha Edwards Maduagwu, Director of Sickle Cell Orphanage and Underprivileged Home, Agulu.

In the petition, the complainant accused the priest of disrupting academic activities at Alpha Star College and Alpha Nursery and Primary School, both located within the church premises.

She alleged that weekly Wednesday prayer programmes organised by the priest created noise pollution that interfered with classroom learning.

“The walls of classrooms vibrate with deafening sounds of musical instruments and microphones, causing staff and pupils to lose concentration,” the petition stated.

According to her, the programmes have further reduced already limited school hours due to the Monday sit-at-home order in the South-East, leaving students with inadequate learning time.

She also alleged declining enrolment, fear among staff and rising tension among parents, who she said felt helpless over the situation.

Beyond the issue of noise, the petition accused the cleric of making false prophecies, exploiting vulnerable worshippers and causing division in families.

The petitioner called for an independent investigation, redeployment of the priest and rescheduling of church programmes to avoid school hours.

In a detailed response, Rev. Canon Eboh described the allegations as false, malicious and defamatory.

He questioned the standing of the complainant, stating that she was not a member of the Anglican Communion but a Roman Catholic, and therefore not under his pastoral supervision.

The cleric maintained that all church programmes, including the Wednesday “Mercy Hour,” were lawful and protected under constitutional provisions guaranteeing freedom of worship.

He denied claims of extortion, false prophecies or interference with education, insisting that his ministry operates within ecclesiastical and civil law.

The priest also said he had taken steps to protect church property and maintain order in the parish.

The unfolding dispute has reportedly heightened tension in Agulu, with stakeholders divided over the matter.

While some parents and residents are calling for urgent intervention by church authorities, others have urged restraint pending investigation.

Observers say the controversy highlights broader concerns about balancing religious activities and the right to education in communities where schools share facilities with places of worship.

Church authorities are expected to review the petition and the priest’s response as the situation develops.

Willie Obiano birthday

By Ifeizu Joe

Ifeizu, the Managing Editor of THE RAZOR is a seasoned journalist. He has wide knowledge of Anambra State and has reported the state objectively for close to two decades.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: