Tony Okafor, Awka
The Anambra State Police Command has invited a Twitter user, @princenenchecfr, to show evidence of the N350,000 allegedly demanded from him for the release of the corpse of late singer, Slami Ifeanyi.
The tweep had alleged that a certain DPO had requested for N350,000 before he could release the corpse of Ifeanyi.
In a statement on Friday, the command spokesman, Tochukwu Ikenga, invited the tweep to appear at the state command headquarters with evidence and witnesses, as this would enable the police command to come out with facts of what transpired.
Ifeanyi was shot dead on Sunday in Umubele, Awka, Anambra State capital, by some yet-to-be-identified assailants.
The Twitter user had protested an alleged demand of N350,000 by the Anambra State Police Command for the release of the corpse of Slami Ifeanyi, in its custody for burial.
Ikenga, in his reply to the tweet said, “We are aware of the shooting that took place that day which led to the death of the young man. Preliminary information reveals that it is cult related. I will follow up. Meanwhile, we have three suspects in custody.”
In a reaction on Thursday, the PPRO had told one of the RAZOR Editors on the telephone that the corpse of Ifeanyi had been released and that the protesting Twitter user had reached the command to thank it for its intervention and cooperation.
But in another statement on Friday, Ikenga said the command had not released the corpse.
The statement was titled, ‘Update on the alleged demand of N350,000 against the DPO CP’s Awka to release a corpse by a twitter handler @princenenchecfr’.
It read, “The Command wishes to inform the members of the public that the corpse has not been released, just as I early said it is not within the powers of the DPO to release the corpse or to investigate murder cases.
“The case has been transferred to State CID for proper review and consolidation of information before us.
“Recall on Saturday, 26/11/2022, there were rivalry cult shootings that took place in Awka, which led to the murder of a young man. The Command already has three suspects in custody, and the investigation is still ongoing.
“The Command also wants to use this medium to invite the Twitter handler @princenenchecfr to Anambra State Police Command by 11 am on Wednesday, 7/12/2022, to come with evidence and witnesses of persons when the DPO demanded the sum N350,000 from him and later the corpse was released. This will enable us to come out with facts about what transpired.
“The Command, while thanking the members of the public, especially our followers on their comments and reactions, we urge you to sustain it and note that, it is from such that help in our decision to improve on our services.”