A former Anglican priest in Nnewi Diocese, Anambra State, Rev. Barr. Ogbuchukwu Makuo Lotanna has announced his decision to return to the church after resigning from the Communion barely three months ago.
He said his action was informed by his misinterpretation of the revelations he received on a divine movement for sexual purity.
The cleric who had on September 10, resigned from the communion, insisting that polygamy was not a sin.
It gathered the the priest was recalled on December 24, 2022 following an unreserved apology he tendered to the church.
He had claimed the divine mandate was aimed at encouraging polygamy, with a vision to reducing the rate of sexual sins in society.
But in the apology letter titled, “To all beloved in Christ and all it may concern: Rescinding from my pro polygamy movement”, Lotanna pledged to give full and undivided attention to all God had called him to do as a priest in obedience to the instituted authority of the Church.
He also appealed to all, especially the over 200 persons that indicated interest to join his proposed new Church, to disregard his previous comments on the movement, promising not to speak or work against the godly doctrines of his Church.
The statement reads, “I wish to inform the general body of Christ and the general public that I have submitted a letter of apology to my Lord Bishop for resigning from being a member of the body of Clergy Association of Diocese of Nnewi (Anglican Communion).
“What led to my action was my misinterpretation of the revelations I received on a divine movement for SEXUAL PURITY.
“I have since pledged to give a full and undivided attention to all that God has called me to do as a priest in obedience to the instituted authority of the Church.
“I have understood that for any program(s) to achieve sexual purity, it must of necessity be that which should build the CHURCH OF CHRIST and should be accepted by her. And I can not be numbered among those fighting the Church.
“Hence; I, REV. OGBUCHUKWU MAKUO LOTANNA (ESQ) hereby withdraw my humble self from propagation of the POLYGAMY movement and plead with everyone (especially the over 200 persons that indicated interest for us to kick-start a Church, which I personally, never did) to jettison all I have said so far on this movement AS I HAVE BACKED OFF AND I AM FULLY BACK TO MY CHURCH and I have promised not to speak or work against the sound and godly doctrines of my Church.
“I have also withdrawn and DELETED all the videos and messages I have preached or posted on the subject from all my social media handles and have CLOSED all the channels.
“There are other programs for sexual purity the church will appreciate and be at home with, which will also help to build the society at large. I will henceforth be preoccupied with such programs to showcase my GENUINE INTENTIONS.
“I thank those who have handled my case with love, prayers and maturity, and apologize to those who may have been disappointed in me, deceived or offended by my action.
“I remain your brother and it is my desire that we all continue in the path of holiness and remain “RAPTURABLE” in CHRIST.”
Confirming the reception of the priest by the church, Secretary of Synod, Nnewi Diocese, Ven. Mortanya Godfrey, when contacted, could not confirm acceptance of the cleric’s apology letter as he did not take his calls as at time of filing the report.