Suspected gunmen on Wednesday attacked the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) office in Onitsha, Anambra and set ablaze some equipment and Star Times building within the premises.
The Acting Manager of the station, Mr Chris Nwigwe told journalists on phone that the incident occurred at about 1:40am.
“Yes, there was an attack on our office early hours of today at about 1:40am.
“Some armed men tried to attack the staff on duty but only succeeded in burning down the Star Times building,” he said.
Nwigwe however noted that no life was lost in the attack.
An eyewitness however said an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was planted on the security gate while tyres were positioned around the premises to set the station ablaze.
“There was a gun duel between the armed men and policemen who are manning the office.
“They managed to burn down the Star Times office while the fire was later put off with the help of people around.
“This type of incident has never happened,” the source said.
Reports has it that the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Sam Okaula later visited the scene with bomb squad to evacuate the improvised explosive device.
While confirming the incident, Okaula said three suspects had been arrested in connection with the case.
According to him, investigation has begun to unravel the reason for the attack.
He lauded his men manning the office for their bravery, saying that their quick intervention prevented the loss of lives and destruction of more property.
The police boss, who warned people against taking laws into their hands, said that the police will get to the root of the incident.
“Those who take laws into their hands should be ready to face the repercussion,” Okaula stressed, adding that the suspects would be prosecuted in court after investigation was concluded.
WWW.ELEKENEW.COM reports that as at the time of filing report, three police patrol vans had been stationed in front of the NTA office to beef up security at the post.