2027: Jonathan Can Contest, That’s Not My Preoccupation; My Interest Is a Better Nigeria — Obi
Politics

By Our Correspondent
Presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has downplayed speculations surrounding a possible 2027 presidential ambition by former President Goodluck Jonathan, insisting that his focus remains on rebuilding Nigeria rather than worrying about potential opponents.
Obi made the remarks on Tuesday shortly after undergoing the NDC presidential screening exercise in Abuja, a process that reportedly lasted more than two hours.
Reacting to reports suggesting that Jonathan could contest the 2027 presidential election under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Obi said democracy allows every qualified citizen to seek public office.
“Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for,” he said.
The former governor of Anambra State stressed that he was not preoccupied with monitoring who may or may not join the race ahead of the next general election.
“I’m not in any way going around looking for who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” Obi added.
Speaking further, Obi outlined what he described as his core priorities for the country, emphasizing national unity, security, economic recovery, and the fight against corruption.
According to him, Nigeria must first become a united nation where all citizens feel included regardless of ethnicity or religion.
“We have to govern the country by the Constitution of Nigeria, which stipulates federal character and inclusivity. The country must be united. The country must be secure,” he stated.
Obi also lamented the growing insecurity across the country, noting that many Nigerians now live in fear due to kidnappings and violent crimes.
“We want to see a country where mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work. We also want to be able to travel across Nigeria without fear,” he said.
The 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate also defended the lengthy NDC screening process, describing it as evidence that the party was committed to transparency and democratic principles.
“This is democracy in action because the NDC chooses to do things properly. So, when we say this is going to be a screening, it has to be done right,” Obi explained.
He added that the process was necessary to verify the qualifications, credentials, and integrity of aspirants seeking to lead the country.
“Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualifications and can provide relevant documents to back them up,” he noted.
Obi further dismissed reports claiming he had already emerged as the consensus presidential candidate of the party following alleged consultations with stakeholders.
According to him, the process remains open, as the sale of nomination and expression of interest forms had only recently begun.
“The party just opened up its expression of interest and nomination forms for people to buy. So there is no consensus yet,” he said.
“Although I bought the forms, I don’t know who else has bought them. So until the party says I’m the only one who has expressed interest, that’s it,” Obi added.


